Re: Data Replication Reliability

From: Chris Dipple <chris_at_chin.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/11/22

In article <328B2FA3.AF_at_ibm.net>, "Scott T. Johnson" <sjohnson_at_ibm.net> writes
>Has anyone seen any good articles on the reliability of Oracle's data
>replication. What happens to synchronous replication if the network
>goes down? What happens if one of the servers is unavailable?
>
>Thanks,
>Scott

For synchronous replication read two-phase commit. If a node is inaccessable for any reason then your application will hang and eventually time out. You will have to turn replication off to the downed site. We tried Oracle synchronous replication and found problems with speed and with our own triggers (the use of sequences, USER and SYSDATE in user defined triggers are bad news). Good Luck.

--
Chris Dipple, Production DBA, Royal Bank of Scotland