Re: How to bring rollback tablespace online?

From: Kevin Loney <"75663,327"_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 1996/11/22

PATRICK HUYNH wrote:

> I tried to rename the datafile of some of the tablespaces. First, i take
> the tablespaces offline and that including the rollback tablespace as
> well.
> After successfully rename the datafile of one of the tablespace, i tried
> to bring that tablespace back online, i get the following errors:
> SQLDBA> alter tablespace users online;
> ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
> ORA-00376: file 4 cannot be read at this time
> ORA-01110: data file 4: 'ORA_TDDE_DISK4:[DBS]TDDE_RBS_1.DBF'
>
> So, i thought i have to bring the rollback tablespace online first, but
> when i tried that i got the same error.
> Is there anyway that i can bring rollback tablespace online again?

Probably not. You shouldn't have been able to take the tablespace offline if it had an active rollback segment in it. To move datafiles used for rollback segments or temporary segments, you should shutdown the instance and use the ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE method.

You'll need to perform media recovery. Hopefully you are running in Archivelog mode. I'd suggest contacting Oracle support for a walkthrough of the recovery procedures, or check out the Oracle Backup & Recovery Handbook.

Kevin Received on Fri Nov 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message