Re: VARCHAR2 vs. CHAR

From: <vermaat_at_gemini.tfdl.agro.nl>
Date: 1996/11/22

In article <32948023.1CFB_at_econnect.ca>, Yudong Sun <ysun_at_econnect.ca> writes:
>How efficient is VARCHAR2's implementation?
>Would I have a reason to prefer the use of CHAR for things like
>a person name (e.g., CHAR(50))? (I would use VARCHAR2 for things
>like file path - e.g. VARCHAR2(256).)

The problem with CHAR-columns is that they are always filled up with spaces to their full length, so that they claim more space. If you insert JONES in VARCHAR2(10), you get JONES ; if you insert it into CHAR(10), you get JONES_____. These values are NOT equal !

| Peter J.R. Vermaat | Dutch Department of Agriculture | Wageningen |

| p.j.r.vermaat_at_fd.agro.nl | http://www.agro.nl/~vermaat/ |
|                           Flagellant in Dreamland                            |