Re: NEWBIE: conditional query

From: Saqib Zulfiqar <saqib.zulfiqar_at_cressoft.com.pk>
Date: 1996/11/20

"Peter Wenker" <peter.wenker_at_mci.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to select different values from a DATE field based upon the
>value of the date. Specifically, I want to query all rows in a table with
>a DATE field. I want the query to return a value of 'CLOSED' if the date
>is less than or equal to SYSDATE, and NULL if the date is greater than
>SYSDATE. Is this possible? I'm familiar with SQL*PLUS but not as
>familiar with its advanced functionality.

>Appreciate any help - thanks - john.sauer_at_MCI.com
> (please cc peter.wenker_at_MCI.com)

Hi Peter,
If we take the emp table and the hiredate field as the date field then probabaly this one liner could help

select
decode(sign(hiredate-trunc(sysdate)),-1,'Closed',1,null,'Closed') from emp

Saqib Zulfiqar
Software Engineer
CresSoft Software Products Received on Wed Nov 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message