Re: What is an extent ?

From: Allen Kirby <akirby_at_att.com>
Date: 1996/11/20

An extent is a group of contiguous blocks in Oracle that belong to the same object, such as a table or index. Each object is made up of 1 or more extents up to a specified maximum. Extents allow the designer to limit the amount of space initially allocated to an object but allow the object to grow later by allocating additional, possibly smaller extents. I don't think extent stands for anything. Sorry, that's the 'extent' of my knowledge on this subject.

--
---
Allen Kirby			AT&T ITS Production Services