Re: Advice Wanted: Optimizing Oracle for a Production Environment

From: N Prabhakar <prabhs_at_po.pacific.net.sg>
Date: 1996/11/20

"Kyle" <kkstep_at_primenet.com> wrote:
>We are implementing an Oracle based client server integrated system in a
>manufacturing environment. The software vendor's 2nd DBA told us that we
>should optimize the structure of the database, i.e. put indexes and tables
>on separate drives and isolate the Accounting and Manufacturing in
>different tablespaces. The vendor's first DBA set up the database as if it
>were in a 'development' environment; not optimized for speed but for
>simplicity. The 2nd DBA suggested that to optimize the database would take
>from 80 to 100 hours of work and should be done before implementation. We
>will be doing approximately 300 invoices a day, minor manufacturing
>transactions, and moderate other business transactions. I have two
>questions; First, is it very important that I optimize the database before
>implementation? and second, is 80 to 100 hours a realistic time frame?
>
>Comments and advice are welcome and will be appreciated.
>

>Kyle Stephens

Hi there,

In my view database optimization is not a one time exercise. The database has to be monitored regularly and necessary steps should be taken to operate it in an efficient mode.

If you have difficulty (in terms of time), create an initial database and try running your system. Tune the system on a regular basis.

The most important thing to be noted is

  1. Specify the name of the database correctly.
  2. Specify Data files parameter sufficiently high.
  3. Specify MAX log files sufficiently high.
  4. Have multiple copies of control file across disks
  5. Multiplex your online redo log files across disks.
  6. Have your system tablespace atleast 40Mb in size.

These first 3 parameters are quite difficult to change after an initial database creation. Most of other parameters can be changed after a shutdown and startup.

I hope the above info helps

Regards

N.Prabhakar Received on Wed Nov 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message