Re: Advice Wanted: Optimizing Oracle for a Production Environment

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <"Lun>
Date: 1996/11/20

Kyle wrote:

> First, is it very important that I optimize the database before
> implementation? and second, is 80 to 100 hours a realistic time frame?

  Yes, it is very important to tune your database before starting the implementation. Not only can it save the cost of tungin during the life of an application (exponential increase), but also increase the benefit of tuning (again exponential).

  For the future enhancement, it is worth to tune the database as early as possible. As a result, the installation guide recommends to tune the database after installation. The application developer guide recommends to tune the application at the design stage.

  There are a lot of areas in tuning. As a result, it is hard to justify whether it is rationale to tune the application withing 80 to 100 hours.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San
Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841