Re: SQL question

From: Matt Marrow [LOGICA][dc] <mmarrow_at_diana>
Date: 1996/11/20

If you don't care which row is updated, can't you do this:

UPDATE your_table
SET your_column = A_VALUE
WHERE rownum = 1;

But then again, what rationale are you using which allows a table where a 'random' columns is updated? That sounds a bit worrying to me...

But I hope that helped anyway.

Matt

mmarrow_at_pacbell.mobile.com

pfinn_at_creighton.edu wrote:

: Okay, I would really like help on this one. I tried using rowid's but
: that didn't seem to work.

: Here's an example of what I'm doing. I'm trying to pull an update off to
: modify one _and_only_one_ occurrence of another field. Like this...

: DATE AMOUNT
: 11/12/96
: 11/12/96
: 11/12/96
: 11/12/96

: Now using a regular update scheme, all amounts will be updated wherever a
: a date of 11/12/96 is found. How can I pull it off so that it will only
: update one of those records (I don't care which one, really). Again, I
: tried using rowid, but perhaps my syntax wasn't correct.

: Appreciate it.