Re: Upgrade (7.0 to 7.3) tips?

From: Jeff Behm <jeffb_at_sky.net>
Date: 1996/11/19

janet <janet_at_telesph.com> wrote:

>wonderful help. i wish to pick your brains again.
> i am about to upgrade our test system from oracle 7.0 to
>7.3. of course, i can do this and am not asking how. what i
>am asking is for tips, or if there are any undocumented
>"features" (not bugs!) that i should know about?

Not sure if this applies to 7.0xx or not.

We upgraded a test database from 7.1.4 to 7.3.2 on a Solaris 2.5.1 Sparc. Since the upgrade, we have been unable to make an SQL*Plus connection. Svrmgrl works ok, but not SQL*Plus. We called the Oracle support and they sent us a patch that didn't work, and later said they thought it might not work, because they hadn't tested it. Also, they said not everyone has this problem, but we were not the first to report it. Additionally, we have 7.3.2 loaded on other Solaris 2.5.1 machines, but they were fresh installs, not upgrades.

At this point, the only work around (we know about) is to reload the catalog and catproc (I think those are the names) sql scripts into each one (of our 25 databases!). Not fun to sit through at ~1 hour per pop. If you only have a few instances, like most people, then this could be acceptable. For us, with 25 instances (and growing) we will have to stay on 7.1.4 until 7.3.3 comes out (Late December?) and we'll give that a try.

Jeff Behm jeffb_at_sky.net http://www.sky.net/~jeffb "By George, and I think I have enough money to buy George."  --Thurston Howell, Gilligan's Island Received on Tue Nov 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message