Problem in Reports 2.5 /Oracle

From: karl <karl_at_post1.com>
Date: 1996/11/19

Hi,

   We are facing a problem.
 Background :
   Basically in reports 2.5 the application requires a particular field to have a variable number of decimal places i.e. the format of the number

   returned to be dynamic in the number of decimal places ( eg different

    currencies have different decimal places ie 1.20 or 1.200 etc) .    We used to have a common routine which does a lot of other conversions between currencies etc but which

   ultimately returns the field in character format using a to_char function with format fields.

   But some new reports also require a summary total of this field but we cannot therfore use the reports 2.5 summary column sum.So we changed the type of the field to number and also the common routine to return Number adding
just adding To_Number to the last line of code in the function ie eg to_number(1.20,-9,999.99) expecting 1.20 but instead ORacle returns only 1.2
but the user wants to see 1.20.

PROBLEM : On further investigtion we found the oracle function to_number (1.20,-999.99) returning 1.2 only and not 1.20  .Can anyof u guys help?

Basically the function will be able to get the required number of decimal places in char format but returning them in number format is a problem. Waiting eagerly Thanks Karl Received on Tue Nov 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message