Re: Why assign a size to a tablespace ?

From: Saqib Zulfiqar <saqib.zulfiqar_at_Cressoft.com.pk>
Date: 1996/11/19

In article <aak2.848302317_at_Isis.MsState.Edu> aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu (Atif Ahmad Khan) writes:
>From: aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu (Atif Ahmad Khan)
>Subject: Why assign a size to a tablespace ?
>Date: 18 Nov 1996 01:40:28 -0600

>I am just wondering why does oracle require that you assign
>a size to table/tablespace ? When you do it immediately
>takes up that much disk space. Why can't it be dynamic ?

>I would like to avoid having to assign a fixed size to anything,
>since I dont want to worry about changing these things all the
>time. I'd rather be worrying about other things.

>Currently I have an error that I think is a space related
>problem too, as I am trying to insert some data into a table
>and this error isn't letting me do it :

>-------------
>insert into testdb
> *
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-01652: unable to extend temp segment by 315 in tablespace SYSTEM
>-------------

>So I do I just need to add space to tablespace SYSTEM ?

>Thanks.

>Atif Khan
>aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu

Dear Atif,

The reason I feel that is behind ORACLE's Pre allocation of space is that, Oracle isn't a small database it's data could be spread over multiple drives, HD's etc. Now if a db file was to grow as data was put into it, what would happen if that device bacame completely full. With fixed size you can make one tablespace with data files spread all over the place. (hope you get the point) Now regarding your second question, First check if your initial, next, minextents etc. clause suits your environment. If you feel that they are correct then you can just add a new datafile to the system tablespace.

Saqib Zulfiqar
Software Engineer
CresSoft Software Products Pvt Ltd Received on Tue Nov 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message