Re: How many extents is too many?

From: Dennis R. Otero <dennis.otero-1_at_edams.ksc.nasa.gov>
Date: 1996/11/18

Dana Stockler wrote:

> How many extents (table and index) are considered too many?
>
> I realize that the question is simplistic and that the answer
> depends on many different factors. What I am interested in is
> the varied experiences of the DBAs and gurus participating in
> this newsgroup. What is the number of extents that makes YOU
> decide that it is time to defragment a table or index?
>
> Regards,

> Dana Stockler
> Home: Solstadlia 10, 1364 Hvalstad, Norway ((+47) 66 78 97 41)
> Work: IngeniørData as, Strøket 9, 1370 Asker, Norway
> Email: stockler_at_ingdata.no
Dana

I normally start using 10 as my starting point and go after the largest violator, but more important than data fragmentation is the freespace fragmentation, should a file attempt to extend and there isn't a freespace extent large enough for it this would stop processing. Received on Mon Nov 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message