Re: 4 disks. Best utilization?

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: 1996/11/18

>also, what is the importance of down time? (you don't really have a
>enough disks for a failure-proof system).

Who does?

Given a big enough catastrophe, 50 disks may not be enough. ;)

For minimal fault tolerance you'd need:

1 for tables
1 for indexes
1 for temp tablespace
1 for rollback segments
2 for control files
2 for online redo logs
2* for archived redo logs

--
10 total disks.

* Oracle only writes to one archive directory. You should run a
background/cron job to periodically back it up to another disk.

The 4 for online redo logs and control files don't need to be very
large and you could probably even share them. I.E., put the mirrored
redo logs on same disk as the mirrored control files, eliminating the
need for 2 disks. But I've been told for performance reasons they
should be on separate disks.
--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_dvol.com

This message delivered by electronic sled dogs. WOOF!