Re: Q: Exporting large databases,tables (> 2gig)

From: Martin Douglas <dafis_at_ppp.test.jccbi.gov>
Date: 1996/11/17

In article <328DD4E5.3D15_at_kna.com>, <krishnak_at_kna.com> writes:
> From: "Krishna K. Kurup" <krishnak_at_kna.com>
> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle,comp.databases.olap
> Subject: Q: Exporting large databases,tables (> 2gig)
> Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 08:51:17 -0600
>
> Hi:
>
> From the last thread I ran in the same topic. I got plenty of responses
> and good suggestions. I will summarize the same, once I am successful in
> the implementation.
>
> Prob, Def.: What I am trying to do, is port an 80 gig database from
> one platform to another.
>
> Oracle version 7.2.3
> Source Platform: hpT500
> Destination: sequent se-80 (Dynix-ptx 4.2)
>
> The destination platform is running a 64-bit OS (Dynix-ptx 4.2 on
> sequent) and supports (theoretically) terra-byte filesystems and files.
> We tested by creating a 100 gig filesystem, 6gig filesystem and >2 gig
> files. So, it was quite logical to think that if we could export the
> databases over the network (or dedicated line) to this system, we would
> be able to create a 80-gig export dump. But, when we tried a test to
> export, the export died at the 2 gig limit (ulimit was set to
> unlimited). We found out from oracle support that "export" does not
> support greater than 2 gig filesizes. But I have heard from other
> threads that there was a patch for this export problem.
>
> Question 1: Does anyone knows about such a patch ? The export was being
> run on an hp-T500, but it could be run on the sequent box also. (i.e. if
> the patch exists for either OS; Note that the patch is not an OS patch,
> but an Oracle patch)
>
> Question 2: Has anyone created oracle datafiles of greater than 2 gig.
> Are there any problems related to the same ? (unrelated to the problem
> definition above)
>
> Question 3: Can extents (in oracle 7.2 and above) span datafiles ?

I am running a DEC ALPHA 2100 with ORACLE 7.2.2.3. My limit in a datafile is 4 gig, but I have upto 12 gig tablespaces on a 100 gig database. Your size limit my be hardware dependant. But once a datafile is added to a tablespace, ORACLE should see it as one big contiguos space, so extents should span datafiles.

Martin Douglas Received on Sun Nov 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message