Re: Q: embedding userid/password in scripts?

From: N Prabhakar <prabhs_at_po.pacific.net.sg>
Date: 1996/11/17

>John P DeVoy wrote:

>> I'm new to UNIX, and I want to develop some cron scripts that I
>> can have log into the database and do some chores for me. I can
>> do that trick just fine, but I'm not certain I'm handling the
>> account name and password in the most secure manner possible.
>>
>> If you've done similar stuff in your shop, can you share with us
>> how you handle the account name and password, together with any
>> security issues. Thanks!!

Hi there,

You can create an OPS$ oracle account in your UNIX server and this will not use any user id or password.

For example, if your unix user is 'oracle' then you can create a following user in your database.

create user oracle identified externally;

Then as unix user oracle, you can logon to the database by supplying

sqlplus /

The advantage of this account is that, only oracle unix id can logon to the database and no one including the DBA will know the password. (the word externally is used to implement this).

Regards

N.Prabhakar Received on Sun Nov 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message