Q: Exporting large databases,tables (> 2gig)

From: Krishna K. Kurup <krishnak_at_kna.com>
Date: 1996/11/16

Hi:

From the last thread I ran in the same topic. I got plenty of responses and good suggestions. I will summarize the same, once I am successful in the implementation.

Prob, Def.: What I am trying to do, is port an 80 gig database from one platform to another.

Oracle version 7.2.3

Source Platform:	hpT500
Destination:		sequent se-80 (Dynix-ptx 4.2)

The destination platform is running a 64-bit OS (Dynix-ptx 4.2 on sequent) and supports (theoretically) terra-byte filesystems and files. We tested by creating a 100 gig filesystem, 6gig filesystem and >2 gig files. So, it was quite logical to think that if we could export the databases over the network (or dedicated line) to this system, we would be able to create a 80-gig export dump. But, when we tried a test to export, the export died at the 2 gig limit (ulimit was set to unlimited). We found out from oracle support that "export" does not support greater than 2 gig filesizes. But I have heard from other threads that there was a patch for this export problem.

Question 1: Does anyone knows about such a patch ? The export was being run on an hp-T500, but it could be run on the sequent box also. (i.e. if the patch exists for either OS; Note that the patch is not an OS patch, but an Oracle patch)

Question 2: Has anyone created oracle datafiles of greater than 2 gig. Are there any problems related to the same ? (unrelated to the problem definition above)

Question 3: Can extents (in oracle 7.2 and above) span datafiles ? Received on Sat Nov 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message