Re: Oracle and Solaris 2.5

From: Alvin Sylvain <alvin_at_no.junk.mail>
Date: 1996/11/15

Jeff Behm wrote:

> We have been planning a Solaris 2.3 Oracle 7.1.4 upgrade to Solaris
> 2.5.1 and Oracle 7.3.2. We got through the Solaris upgrade, but after
> we upgraded to 7.3.2, an attempt to connect via SQL*Plus (from the
> server) resulted in a hung session that finally returns with an error,
> but won't connect. Svrmgrl works fine, you can connect internal and
> run queries, but with SQL*Plus, no can do.
>
> A call to Oracle gave us a couple of workarounds, neither being
> acceptable. They even went as far as sending a patch, which we
> installed and found out it didn't work, either. When we called back
> to Oracle, they informed us that they had their doubts about it
> working in the first place as they hadn't tested the patch.
> Sheesh...talk about customer support. They said our only alternative
> at this point is to go to 7.3.3. We'll see what happens there.

We've just put 7.3.2 on to Solaris 2.5 without more than the anticipated amount of heartburn, although we'll be converting from Sybase rather than from an earlier release of Oracle.

Question:
Did you put on the 7.3.2.2 patch? It came with ours when we ordered it, but we had to order 7.3 explicitly (they'd sent 7.2 originally).

Also, look in their documentation CD-ROM, and search for words like "compatible" etc. I recall reading a few "gotcha's" in the OCI manual which expressly indicated an incompatibility between 7.3 and earlier releases, although I don't remember offhand what they were, or which calls they were related to. Received on Fri Nov 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message