Re: pl/sql versus pro*c

From: Eric Friedman <eric.friedman_at_turner.com>
Date: 1996/11/15

Eric Mosley wrote:

> I know this is too generic for serious discussion (but who wants a serious
> discussion on friday anyway)...
> If you have a big unix rdbms system and it needs a lot of administrative
> programs and functions etc,. should you do everything in pl/sql or use
> reliable old pro*c? Is there a speed difference, what are the considerations?
>
> Eric.

One advantage of PL/SQL is that it reduces the amount of network traffic; in pro*c, each sql statement needs to be sent to the database.

One possible drawback is the proprietary nature of pl/sql; porting it to another RDMS is likely to be more difficult than in pro*c.

Eric Received on Fri Nov 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message