Re: How do you use SQL*NET to connect PC application to database on server?

From: Jeff Behm <jeffb_at_sky.net>
Date: 1996/11/15

I assume you are running V7 Oracle and SQL*Net V2.

You need to run NETMAN (Network Manager) to create a listener.ora, sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora. This may have already been done by the DBA, in which case you need to copy the sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora to your pc and place them in the ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directory.

Check out the NetMan administrator's manual and it gives pretty good instructions on completing the configuration.

wmorgan_at_nswc.navy.mil (William E. Morgan) wrote:

>I have developed some Oracle Developer/2000 Forms applications on my PC. I am
>currently using the Personal Oracle 7 database on my PC, but now I need to
>move the database to our database server, which is a DEC ALPHA machine. I
>know I need to use SQL*NET somehow to allow my PC applications to talk to the
>database on the server, but I have no idea how to accomplish this! I have
>SQL*NET loaded on my PC, and a listener is running on the server, but that's
>as far as I have gone. Our database administrator who was working out the
>details of how to do this suddenly left for another company, and of course, no
>one else knows anything about it! Thanks for any help anyone out there can
>give me on getting started. Please email responses. Thanks!

>William E. Morgan NAVAL SURFACE WARFARE CENTER
>Code N86 email: wmorgan_at_nswc.navy.mil
>17320 Dahlgren Rd. phone: (540)653-8914
>Dahlgren, VA 22448 fax: (540)653-1810

Jeff Behm jeffb_at_sky.net http://www.sky.net/~jeffb "By George, and I think I have enough money to buy George."  --Thurston Howell, Gilligan's Island Received on Fri Nov 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message