Re: Inserting values into DATE datatype using OCI

From: Mike Streeton <mikes_at_sunray.win-uk.net>
Date: 1996/11/14

In article <3289A901.167E_at_phya5.physik.uni-freiburg.de>, Ansgar Seiter (seiter_at_phya5.physik.uni-freiburg.de) writes:
>Puru Balakrishnan wrote:
>>
>I'm not quit sure, whether this helps you or whether I gto the cause of
>your problem, but I think in PRO*C Code you should represent a date
>dummy as char of length 7 an try to insert "11dec96".
>
>You might try it.

I have used the 7 character string in Pro*c to hold dates, but only as an Oracle internal date type, which is binary encoded and specified in the manual. This was not using the OCI and required you telling the pre-compiler that it was a date using the exec sql var statement
e.g.

char mydate[7];
EXEC SQL VAR mydate IS DATE;

Be careful in using these NO validation is done on the field by Oracle and you can insert impossible dates into the database e.g. 30/02/1996

Hope this helps

Mike Received on Thu Nov 14 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message