Re: Nobody uses SCO & Oracle7?

From: Tony Matthews <tony.matthews_at_gecm.com>
Date: 1996/11/14

bryan_at_aurora.net (Ben Ryan) wrote:
>mikemad_at_asymetrix.com (Mike Madland) wrote:
>
>>fjp_at_his.com (Fred Puhan) wrote:

>>>Last week I asked for comments/experiences regarding running Oracle7 under
>>>SCO UNIX/Xenix. To date I've received NOT ONE reply. Does no one use this
>>>combination? I know of at least one company (my reason for asking), so at
>>>least I know Oracle makes a version for this OS. Is it really that bad?

!!SCO Oracle users are out there!!

We are using 7.1.6 RDBMS, DEVELOPER/2000 (Forms 4.5 only), Pro*Ada 1.6.7 & Pro*C 2.0.6, all on SCO 5.0.0 + patches (very nearly 5.0.2).

I confirm that tnslsnr hangs from time to time, but no SERIOUS problems with RDBMS.

Have had LOTS of problems getting Forms 4.5 to work, mainly because we were told that the SCO ODT 3.2 CD-ROM version of Developer/2000 was certified for SCO 5.0, only to be told later that it wasn't, and that it was a terrible mistake. Nevertheless Oracle supported us in eventually being able to link a copy of Forms 4.5. Linking our own executable rather than using the one on the CD-ROM was necessary to be sure that we were picking up the lates Motif libraries, as earlier versions such as on ODT3.0 are known to contain problems in the RowColumn widgets which are used in such things as menus.

Also have some problems with using Dynamic SQL method 2 in Pro*Ada, which does not close cursors properly, claimed fixed in RDBMS 7.3, though we could code around it by changing all Dynamic SQL method 2 to method 3 or method 4.

Also recently been told that we can't mix Pro*Ada and Pro*C code in the same executable, though haven't got to the bottom of this yet, and NONE of the manuals say that you can't.

Use Oracle RDBMS and Tools as part of an exercise preparation facility for an Air Traffic Control simulator, and for subsequent trainee analysis.

SCO does seem to be the poor relation to Windows/Solaris/HP etc though.

| Tony Matthews                  | Senior S/W Engineer |
|                                |     GEC-Marconi S3I |
| Tel: +44 (0) 1633 835110       |         Ty-Coch Way |
|                                |             Cwmbran |
| Fax: +44 (0) 1633 835022       |               Gwent |
|                                |            NP44 7XX |
| E-Mail: tony.matthews_at_gecm.com |                  UK |