Re: Nobody uses SCO & Oracle7?

From: Ben Ryan <bryan_at_aurora.net>
Date: 1996/11/14

mikemad_at_asymetrix.com (Mike Madland) wrote:

>fjp_at_his.com (Fred Puhan) wrote:

>>Last week I asked for comments/experiences regarding running Oracle7 under
>>SCO UNIX/Xenix. To date I've received NOT ONE reply. Does no one use this
>>combination? I know of at least one company (my reason for asking), so at
>>least I know Oracle makes a version for this OS. Is it really that bad?

>Not at all. I've used Oracle under SCO for years (since Oracle 5/SCO
>Xenix). It is stable and supported. The main problem is that is
>seems to be one of the "2nd tier" ports, that is, we don't the get the
>new releases quite as fast as other platforms, like Sun/Solaris.
>Other than that, it's great!

We are using 7.0.16 on SCO 3.2v4.2 (about 35 production installations for 2 years)
and 7.3.2.1.0 on two SCO OS5.0.2 (one is just about to go live)

Basically OK.

Installation of 7.2.2 on SCO 5.0.2 was so bad that I gave up on it. Installation of 7.3.2.1.0 on SCO 5.0.2 much better. Just one bug in a makefile (invoked ar rather than $(AR)) which was only as problem if you did not have SCO's development system installed.

tnslnsr hangs - there is a bug fix from Oracle for it.

Have not yet tried 7.3.2.2 patch release yet. (Does not contain fix tnslsnr hanging, I am told).

Web listener appears to also be hanging have not yet looked into it.

No problems with the Distributed option as yet.

sql*plus 7.3 will not talk to a 7.0.16 server.

Ben Ryan - VanCity Savings
ben_ryan_at_vancity.com Received on Thu Nov 14 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message