SQL*NET 2 connect (not)

From: Lee <lthomisn_at_alaska.net>
Date: 1996/11/13

Running Oracle Server NT 7.3.2.1.1, SQLNet 2.something (how do I find out what?). Clients are running NT4workstation.

I can connect to the original SID 'ORCL' ( BTW, is a SID the identifying item for an instance..that is, is there a one-to-one unique correspondance between a SID and an instance?) that was installed when we installed the WG Server, and can connect using SQLPlus or SQL Worksheet or most other tools from either the server machine or any of our clients. So from this I assume that the TNSNAMES.ORA is set up correctly on all the clients.

If I use Instance Manager to set up a new instance with a SID of 'ELST' and an INITELST.ORA as below, then go into my client and set up an alias (are the terms 'alias' in SQLNET Easy Config and 'service' in the login screen on other tools synonymous?) of ELSTON ( the client TNSNAMES.ORA is attached below), I can TNSPING ELSTON till the cows come home on all my clients and the server box, but when I try and connect any other tools, I get the message:

ORA-12505: TNS: listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor.

So I assume that I need to identify the new instances to the listener some kind of way. Is this correct? If so, how do I do that? My Oracle 7.1 book says I need to use something called net_conf, but I can't find that filename anywhere. Has something replaced it?

Anyway, all for now. Thanks in advance for any help.

Lee

#
# $Header: init.ora 1.2 94/10/18 16:12:36 gdudey Osd<desktop/netware>
$ init.ora Copyr (c) 1991 Oracle
#
# Example INIT.ORA file
#
# This file is provided by Oracle Corporation to help you customize
# your RDBMS installation for your site. Important system parameters
# are discussed, and example settings given.
#
# Some parameter settings are generic to any size installation.
# For parameters that require different values in different size
# installations, three scenarios have been provided: SMALL, MEDIUM
# and LARGE. Any parameter that needs to be tuned according to
# installation size will have three settings, each one commented
# according to installation size.
#
# Use the following table to approximate the SGA size needed for the
# three scenarious provided in this file:
#
# -------Installation/Database Size------
# SMALL MEDIUM LARGE
# Block 2K 4500K 6800K 17000K
# Size 4K 5500K 8800K 21000K
#
# To set up a database that multiple instances will be using, place
# all instance-specific parameters in one file, and then have all
# of these files point to a master file using the IFILE command.
# This way, when you change a public
# parameter, it will automatically change on all instances. This is
# necessary, since all instances must run with the same value for many
# parameters. For example, if you choose to use private rollback
segments,
# these must be specified in different files, but since all gc_*
# parameters must be the same on all instances, they should be in one
file.
#
# INSTRUCTIONS: Edit this file and the other INIT files it calls for
# your site, either by using the values provided here or by providing
# your own. Then place an IFILE= line into each instance-specific
# INIT file that points at this file.

db_name = oracle
db_files = 20
control_files = D:\ORANT\DATABASE\ctl1elst.ora

compatible = 7.3.0.0.0

db_file_multiblock_read_count = 8 # INITIAL
# db_file_multiblock_read_count = 8
# SMALL
# db_file_multiblock_read_count = 16
# MEDIUM
# db_file_multiblock_read_count = 32
# LARGE

db_block_buffers =  200                           # INITIAL

# db_block_buffers = 200
# SMALL
# db_block_buffers = 550
# MEDIUM
# db_block_buffers = 3200
# LARGE
shared_pool_size =  6500000                           # INITIAL

# shared_pool_size = 3500000
# SMALL
# shared_pool_size = 6000000
# MEDIUM
# shared_pool_size = 9000000
# LARGE
log_checkpoint_interval = 10000
processes =  50                                         # INITIAL

# processes = 50
# SMALL
# processes = 100
# MEDIUM
# processes = 200
# LARGE
dml_locks =  100                                         # INITIAL

# dml_locks = 100
# SMALL
# dml_locks = 200
# MEDIUM
# dml_locks = 500
# LARGE
log_buffer =  8192                                       # INITIAL

# log_buffer = 8192
# SMALL
# log_buffer = 32768
# MEDIUM
# log_buffer = 163840
# LARGE
sequence_cache_entries = 10 # INITIAL
# sequence_cache_entries = 10
# SMALL
# sequence_cache_entries = 30
# MEDIUM
# sequence_cache_entries = 100
# LARGE
sequence_cache_hash_buckets = 10 # INITIAL
# sequence_cache_hash_buckets = 10
# SMALL
# sequence_cache_hash_buckets = 23
# MEDIUM
# sequence_cache_hash_buckets = 89
# LARGE

# audit_trail = true # if you want auditing
# timed_statistics = true # if you want timed statistics
max_dump_file_size = 10240 # limit trace file size to 5 Meg each

# log_archive_start = true # if you want automatic archiving

# define directories to store trace and alert files
background_dump_dest=%RDBMS73%\trace
user_dump_dest=%RDBMS73%\trace

db_block_size = 2048

snapshot_refresh_processes = 1

remote_login_passwordfile = shared

#This is a SQL*Net Configuration file generated by SQL*Net Easy
Configuration.
#Attention: Do not modify this file yourself.
#If you do, your SQL*Net Easy Configuration may not function properly.

Example1.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = Production1)
          (Port = 1521)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = SID1)
    )
  )
Example2.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = spx.world)
          (PROTOCOL = SPX)
          (Service = Server_lsnr)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )
Example3.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = nmp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = NMP)
          (Server = FinanceServer1)
          (Pipe = ORAPIPE)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )
Tcp-loopback.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = 127.0.0.1)
          (Port = 1521)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )
  )
Beq-Local.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
          (COMMUNITY = beq.world)
          (PROTOCOL = BEQ)
          (PROGRAM = oracle73)
          (ARGV0 = oracle73ORCL)
          (ARGS = '(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))')
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
    )