Re: DB defragmentation

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/11/13

In article <32873774.41A3_at_crs.ch> golovaty_at_crs.ch writes:
>Instralling Designer 2000 I peacefully reached the end of step 13
>'Pre-checks before installations' where was written:' if SYSTEM
>tablespace is fragmented you'd rectify it by perfprming full DB export
>and re-import...'
>So I exported it. But what to do now? How to merge the fragments
>togeather Manual doesn't say. I couldn't find the info in other manuals
>I have either(evid. I don't have the whole complect).

When you do the export, the defragmentation takes place. If you use the COMPRESS=Y on the export, the tables will be compressed into the initial extent on the import, otherwise the storage parameters in effect at the beginning of the export will be used. The only way to defragment the SYSTEM tablespace is to recreate it, since things are brought back in order, there is no fragmentation. Be sure rollback segments are not in the SYSTEM tablespace, as they will fragment it or fill it up.

>Please help
>JG

Nice initials.

jg

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>