Re: SQL question

From: Rashid Karimov <rashid_at_rk.wbs.com>
Date: 1996/11/13

For one (well, it's Pl/SQL not SQL only), you can use a cursor, and run the update on _one of the fetched records only. Can be random , can be parameterised.

pfinn_at_creighton.edu wrote:

: Okay, I would really like help on this one. I tried using rowid's but
: that didn't seem to work.

: Here's an example of what I'm doing. I'm trying to pull an update off to
: modify one _and_only_one_ occurrence of another field. Like this...

: DATE AMOUNT
: ---- ------
: 11/12/96
: 11/12/96
: 11/12/96
: 11/12/96

: Now using a regular update scheme, all amounts will be updated wherever a
: a date of 11/12/96 is found. How can I pull it off so that it will only
: update one of those records (I don't care which one, really). Again, I
: tried using rowid, but perhaps my syntax wasn't correct.

: Appreciate it.

--

               Beyond the horizon of the place we lived when we were young
               In the world of magnets and miracles
               Our thoughts strayed constantly and without boundary
               The ringing of the division bell had begun ...
                        -=PF, The Division Bell=-