Re: How connect Oracle under TCP/IP

From: Lun Wing San <wslun_at_hkpc.org>
Date: 1996/11/12

J.Golovaty wrote:

> Hello,
> Who can tell me how to connect under TCP/IP?
>
> EasyCfg generated the following LISTENER.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA
> configuration:
>
> LISTENER =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS =
> (PROTOCOL = IPC)
> (KEY = IO_LSNR)
> )
> (ADDRESS =
> (PROTOCOL = SPX)
> (SERVICE = IO_LSNR)
> )
> (ADDRESS =
> (PROTOCOL = TCP)
> (HOST = io)
> (PORT = 1521)
> )
> )
> STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
> CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
> TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = OFF
> SID_LIST_LISTENER =
> (SID_LIST =
> (SID_DESC =
> (SID_NAME = ORCL)
> (ORACLE_HOME = VOL1:ORANW732)
> )
> )
> #EZCFG_VER=1.1.0.0.0
>
> --------------------TNSNAMES---------------------------
> IO-IPC.world =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS =
> (COMMUNITY = ipc.world)
> (PROTOCOL = IPC)
> (KEY = IO_LSNR)
> )
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SID = ORCL)
> )
> )
> IO-SPX.world =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS =
> (COMMUNITY = spx.world)
> (PROTOCOL = SPX)
> (SERVICE = IO_LSNR)
> )
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SID = ORCL)
> )
> )
> IO-TCP.world =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS =
> (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
> (PROTOCOL = TCP)
> (Host = io)
> (Port = 1521)
> )
> (ADDRESS =
> (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
> (PROTOCOL = TCP)
> (Host = io)
> (Port = 1526)
> )
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SID = ORCL)
> )
> )
> [...]
I have two question:

1. What is the error type and error code ?
2. What is the platform this files located such as Unix ?
3. What is the name of the service for the port 1521 or 1526 ?

I have three suggestions :
1. Please try to use IP-address instead of hostname. 2. Please ensure the location of the files. They are better to be resided under

   $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin if you are using Unix as the operating system.

--
Name        : Lun Wing San
Title       : Oracle developer of the Hong Kong Productivity Council