Re: C.D.O split, can't see it!!!

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/11/12

In article <55vb7h$8nv_at_camelot.dsccc.com> jstrange_at_imtn.dsccc.com (John Strange) writes:
>Talk to your system admin, ask,
>"How can I get the following news groups added to the news feed"
> comp.databases.oracle.server
> comp.databases.oracle.tools
> comp.databases.oracle.misc
> comp.databases.oracle.marketplace
>
>I would add the news groups to my news reader configuration file
>by hand and try them before going to the sys admin.
>For my news reader the file is ".newsrc"

Note that for the old newsreader rn, the default on some unix systems, it will tell you the groups are bogus, then unsubscribe you and move them to the end of your .newsrc (unless you answer "y" to the delete question). rn does not let you write to groups that don't exist, in its opinion.

For those of you with unix shell accounts, you might try searching around on the system for your news spool - perhaps /usr/spool/news. The newsgroups are organized as directories in the spool, so to see if the new groups are there, get a listing of cdo, like ls /usr/spool/news/comp/databases/oracle If you just get a bunch of numbers, then bother your admin. If you get a bunch of numbers and marketplace, misc, server and tools, then check if there is anything in those directories. If empty, bother your admin to bother his upstream feed.

>MCR (mrush_at_ocdis01.tinker.af.mil) wrote:
>: How can I read from or post to newsgroups that my news server can't

Use one of those AOL disks <quickly ducks barage of disks>. Just kidding!

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>