Re: Grant privileges to "a program"...?

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/11/12

In article <564m7u$6l1_at_ds9.Dortmund.loca.net>, Volker Koenig <volker.koe nig_at_Duesseldorf.netsurf.de> writes
>Hi there!
>
>A collegue just claimed it was possible to grant table privileges to "a
>program" in oracle, e.g., not the id of the user is checked against the
>table-privileges but the name or any "hidden" id of the application program
>itself.
>
>This will make it possible - especially when using ODBC - to avoid people
>using tables with "non applications" like word processors or spreadsheets.
>
>Is this true or did someone "tell him about his horse", as we say in germany?

You can't grant rights to external programs, but stored procedures will execute in the 'security domain' of their creator, not the executor which comes to the same thing.

You can also use roles which are only enabled withing the programs you want.

--
Jim Smith