Re: Grant privileges to "a program"...?

From: Ian Parkin <twod_at_roxy.sfo.com>
Date: 1996/11/10

: A collegue just claimed it was possible to grant table privileges to "a
: program" in oracle, e.g., not the id of the user is checked against the
: table-privileges but the name or any "hidden" id of the application program
: itself.

Ask them to substantiate their claim. That way you get the best of both worlds - a working example if they are correct or a big grin if they are wrong.

To my knowledge, it's not possible. The usual rules of user/role priviliges come into play here. Otherwise it would be too easy to spoof the security mechanism, especially under Unix (ie how do you tell the name of a given executable - 'ln TableDeleter NiceProgram' ?). It may be something that your friend has bolted on to the RDBMS, but I don't think that it's a standard thing.

: Is this true or did someone "tell him about his horse", as we say in germany?

'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink' as we used to say in the home country.

IAP Received on Sun Nov 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message