Help: v7.2.3 (Solaris) export to tape

From: Gary Meyers <gmeyers_at_arco.com>
Date: 1996/11/10

I'm having trouble exporting to tape. I have talked to Oracle Cust. Support, and have a doc. from them
describing methods of exporting, but I've not been successful as yet. I'm now trying to pipe the compressed export to tape, but it takes overnight for the job to get to the point of failure--This is getting old!

Particulars: Oracle database files - about 15G. (15,183,872 Kbytes) I followed Oracle's procedure for estimating the export size: Do an export, but pipe the file to /dev/null with bs=1024--this procedure returns

7419068 records in
7419068 records out (about 7G, right?)

  1. I tried exporting directly to tape using volsize = 2000M ,
    (just in case there would be any 2G filesize problems) and
    got "Please mount the next volume and hit <ret> when you are done." BUT, when I inserted another tape and hit return, the same message was displayed again and again--I couldn't get export to accept another vol.
  2. I tried exporting to tape via named pipes, using mknod /tmp/exp_pipe p dd if=/tmp/exp_pipe of=/dev/rmt/0m & exp file=/tmp/exp_pipe userid=....,etc

But I got errors relating to running out of room on the output file
(the tape)

3) I tried the same as number 2, but with volsize=4000M. Problems again with the tape filling up.

4) I'm now trying (the pipe /tmp/exp_pipe is already created) compress < /tmp/exp_pipe > /dev/rmt/0m &

exp userid/passwd full=y log=logpath file=/tmp/exp_pipe

Any/all help is appreciated!!

Gary Meyers
gmeyers_at_arco.com Received on Sun Nov 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message