Re: Internal Error 1407

From: Ian Parkin <twod_at_roxy.sfo.com>
Date: 1996/11/10

: > Does anyonw known what Internal error 1407 means. We have an Oracle 7.3
: > Server under Windows NT 3.51. We get this error while trying to execute
: > large PL/SQL stored procedures. Following is the pattern:
: >
: > The problem seem to have gone away when we explicitily dropped and
: > recreated the procedure. (drop and create as opposed to create or replace).

: Would you mind to give specify the error type such as ORA or PLS?

Assuming that this is a normal Oracle error and not an internal error message that us mere mortals have no access to ...

I have just run the below shell script :

  • snip -- #!/bin/sh

cd $ORACLE_HOME
for dir in `find . -name mesg -type d -print` do

        cd $dir
        grep '1407,' *.msg
        cd $ORACLE_HOME

done
-- snip --

And I got the below output :

  • snip -- oraus.msg:01407, 00000, "cannot update mandatory (NOT NULL) column to NULL" pcmus.msg:1407, 0, "One of the identifiers CHAR, CHARACTER, or INTEGER has been redefined by the programmer"
  • snip --

Given the fact you are running a stored procedure, it looks as if you are breaking a NOT NULL constraint.

Check your DML statements, especially the UPDATE statements.

There are also rare occasions where a stored object gets corrupted and you have to recreate and/or bounce the db if someone has them locked. As, I said rare and I don't think this is the case here.

IAP Received on Sun Nov 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message