Re: COMP.DATABASES.ORACLE split

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/11/09

In article <55u512$ksk_at_wormer.fn.net>, "Jack L. Swayze Sr." <keystrk_at_feist.com> writes
>wzimmer_at_atair.rz.uni-ulm.de (Walter Zimmer) wrote:
>
>>Do you think this is a SERVICE for CUSTOMERS of oracle ???
>>Whew ! Another one not knowing and caring about the roots of news.
>
>If this is not a service for the customers of Oracle, then who is it a
>service for?
>
>Sheesh! Another one not knowing or caring about the customer!

Usenet newsgroups in general and comp.databases.oracle.* in particuler are nothing to do with Oracle Corporation. c.d.o is a self-help group set up by those members of the "internet community" ( a dubious concept anyway) who also have an interest in Oracle. It is an informal Oracle user group without membership fees. When you use c.d,o, you are relying on the goodwill of other Oracle users for your information.

The downside of this is that the information is frequently wrong, or doesn't answer the right question, and you have no redress.

A number of Oracle employees participate in c.d.o, but I suspect they are doing it in their own time. Their views should not necessarily be taken as represent official Oracle policy.

Internet resources which are connected with Oracle are

  1. www.oracle.com - a public web site for marketing purposes.
  2. Various password protected web sites for customers with paid support contracts. There has been one in the UK for a while and I think there are now others.
  3. A Compuserve forum (not really internet, I know). I don't use this but I think it is for customers with paid support only. -- Jim Smith