Re: newbie

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <"Lun>
Date: 1996/11/09

Bob Brewer wrote:

> I'm new to sql & oracle. I need to add a user to an
> existing db. I've created the user & can login.
> But, I can't "select * from table" where table is
> an existing table. I have done "grant select to
> newuser". Didn't work. I have done "grant all to
> newuser". Didn't work. Now what.

  Please try to include the schema for the table name. For instance, if user1 want to access the table emp of scott. User1 can try to type select * from scott.emp after granting the select scott.emp object privilege.

> 1. How can you get a list of tables in a
> particular db.

  You can try SELECT * FROM DBA_TABLES. Any user with SELECT ANY TABLE system privilege can access this view.

> 2. How can a user look at their schema, views, etc.

  The user can look at (I presume you refer to select all objects the user owned) their schema objects by using

  SELECT * FROM ALL_OBJECTS.   Related Topics: Data Administrator, Data Dictionary, Objects, Privileges and Roles

--
Name        : Lun Wing San
Title       : Senior Consultant of Lun's Oracle Solution Company