Re: Good C/C++ Development Tools

From: Alvin Sylvain <alvin_at_c-square.com.nojunk>
Date: 1996/11/08

Ian Birch wrote:

> Does anyone have any recomendations for good C/C++ development tools
> that can be used in conjunction with Oracles Pro*C for Unix SVR4,
> running on either an NCR 3555 pentium based machine or a Pyramid Risc
> based machine.
>
> I'm currently using CC, and to debug I have to rely on a liberal
> sprinkling of printf statements!!!!!
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian

You might try acquiring a copy of GNU C/C++ (gcc/g++). You can also acquire its "gdb", a debugger. I haven't used this debugger in a long while, altho I just installed it here on Solaris 2.5 (a System V, SVR4 clone from Sun). A co-worker here says it's great.

Gnu products may be obtained from, among other places:

   http://www.cdrom.com (Walnut Creek CDROM)

They have a whole bunch of "free" stuff which they sell on CD-ROM for about $40 each. They also have their own FTP site for actually free downloads.

Other places for free downloads:

   ftp:  aeneas.mit.edu    /pub/gnu
         sol.cs.ruu.nl     /pub/GNU
         sunsite.unc.edu   /pub/gnu

Since you obviously already have your own compiler, you ought to be able to compile a copy of gcc from the sources. NCR SVR4 is included in its list of acceptable platforms, as is Pyramid. We had the problem of purchasing Solaris 2.5 from Sun with NO compiler! Sun charges $1000 for that (OUCH!!). Fortunately, Walnut Creek CDROM had Gcc pre-compiled into Sun Solaris binaries.

Gnu software is widely used and respected, and the price is right! :-)

Best of luck!