Re: newbie

From: Dean A. Richards <darichar_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/11/08

Bob Brewer wrote:

> I'm new to sql & oracle. I need to add a user to an
> existing db. I've created the user & can login.
> But, I can't "select * from table" where table is
> an existing table. I have done "grant select to
> newuser". Didn't work. I have done "grant all to
> newuser". Didn't work. Now what.

Which schema is the table in? If it's not in the current user's schema then you have to prefix the table name with a schema name. For example to query tables created under the user SCOTT you would write a query as SELECT * FROM SCOTT.EMP;
> Other questions.
>
> 1. How can you get a list of tables in a
> particular db.

SELECT TABLE_NAME FROM ALL_TABLES; This gives the tables accessible by the currently connected user.

> 2. How can a user look at their schema, views, etc.

SELECT * FROM USER_OBJECTS;

> 3. How can an admin look at what is already there
> when he takes over?

Do you mean the database configuration? Try these tables:

DBA_DATA_FILES
DBA_TABLESPACES
DBA_USERS

These are all listed in the documentation.

Dean Richards Received on Fri Nov 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message