Re: Oracle 7.3 under Linux, any chance ?

From: Andreas Fassl <andreas_at_progis.de>
Date: 1996/11/07

In <aak2.847085456_at_Isis.MsState.Edu> aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu (Atif Ahmad Khan) writes:

>I am surprised that Oracle is not releasing a version of its
>DBMS for the most efficient Unix out there, Linux.

>Does anybody know if the version 7.3 of Oracle SCO binaries
>would work under Linux. We are getting really desperate as
>we find a bug in Solaris almost every day. Linux is much much
>more stable and much much more efficient. And anybody who
>doesn't think that its becoming a very dominant force in the
>market should come out of the whole they have been living in
>for the past few years.

Bugs in Solaris? That can't be! As an Unix system Solaris is "per se" perfect. :-)
My 5 cents:
Why should Oracle support another Unix plattform? The need a new developer team being up to date and enthusiastic with Linux. YOUR linux is stable, but what will happen to the thousand customers buying a generic linux distribution from a low-cost CD? I see a large amount of support problems coming up like:

1) What kernel are you using?
2) What patches, drivers, etc. have you installed?
3) What have you installed additionally?

When I install a SCO/SOLARIS/DEC Unix/etc. system out of the box it is lots easier for support to back track the configuration.

As fine and stable Linux is, I don't think that there will be a version of Oracle for it.

Regards

Andreas

+ proGIS Softwareentwicklung, Simulationssysteme, Beratung   +
+ E-Mail: andreas_at_progis.de        VOICE:(49) 241 470 67 -0  +
+				   FAX:  (49) 241 470 67 -29 +