Re: Forms 4.5 not connecting to Personal Oracle 7 for W95

From: Kevin Muhm <muhmkb_at_maritz.com>
Date: 1996/11/07

M. van der Ent wrote:

> I am unable to connect Forms 4.5 release 1.2.1 to personal oracle 7 beta
> for windows 95. Forms 4.0 works fine.
> I am told to use SQL Net to make the connect between the 16bit application
> and the 32bit database, but I do not know how to set this up. How should I
> configure TNSNAMES?
> Can anyone help me?
>
> M. van der Ent 101456.2755_at_compuserve.com

The only way I was able to make a connection between by 16 bit applications (Forms, SQL*PLUS, Reports) and 32 bit PO7 was through named pipes. This took numerous calls to Oracle Support, and according to them this is the only way you can do it. I have PO7 for Windows NT, but the process should be similar for Windows 95. This is how I did it:

  1. Modify the tnsnames.ora file in your ORAWIN\NETWORK\ADMIN directory. Make an entry similar to this for a named pipes connection:
	LOCAL.world =
  	(DESCRIPTION =
    	(ADDRESS_LIST =
    	    (ADDRESS =
    	      (COMMUNITY = nmp.world)
    	      (PROTOCOL = NMP)
    	      (Server = MUHMKB)
   	       (Pipe = ORAPIPE)
 	       )
 	   )
	    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL)
 	   )
	  )

	2. In the ORANT(ORA95?)\NETWORK\ADMIN\SAMPLE directory there should be a
	listener.ora file. Drag this file into ORA??\NETWORK\ADMIN (1 level up) and
	modify it so it looks like this:

	LISTENER =
	  (ADDRESS_LIST =
	        (ADDRESS =
	          (COMMUNITY = np.world)
	          (PROTOCOL = NMP)
	          (Server = MUHMKB)
	          (PIPE = ORAPIPE)
	        )
	  )
	STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
	CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
	TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = ADMIN
	SID_LIST_LISTENER =
	  (SID_LIST =
	    (SID_DESC =
	      (SID_NAME = ORCL)
	    )
	  )

	You can name the Server and PIPE anything, as long as they are consistent
	between the two files.

	3. Install the SQL*Net Adapter for Named Pipes from the Developer/2000 CD if
	you do not have it installed already. To find out, run orainst to see which
	products are installed in your ORAWIN\BIN directory. In my case I wasn't sure
	whether I needed SQL*Net for Named Pipes 1.1.8.1 or the Oracle Named Pipes
	Adapter 2.1.4.1.3, so I installed them both :-).

Now you should be in business. I'm not sure how you configure the listener in Win95, but under NT I look in Control Panel/Services to make sure that my listener is launched upon system startup.

Good luck,

*   Kevin Muhm			email: muhmkb_at_maritz.com	*
*   Senior Programmer/Analyst	(314)827-8787			*
*   Maritz, Inc.		FAX: (314)827-3148		*
*   1365 N. Highway Drive					*
*   St. Louis, MO 63099						*