Re: How to change user "INTERNAL" passwd ?

From: <mlanda_at_vnet.ibm.com>
Date: 1996/11/07

In <93939.adizon_at_mail.us.net>, "Angelito Dizon" <adizon_at_mail.us.net> writes:
>On Mon, 04 Nov 1996 18:03:55 +0000,
>Chris Hall <chris_at_iifs.iisc.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>The user internal is a sort of pseudo user included for backward
>>compatibility, changing the password for sys will also change the
>>internal password.
>

>Is this true in v7.2 also? Does this mean that the passwords for SYS and
>INTERNAL are one and the same?
>
>Thanks,
>Lito
>
>Lito Dizon
>adizon_at_us.net

It has been my experience that this in only true when connecting through sqldba or svrmgr. So, say my internal PW is TEST then I can connect using svrmgr or sqldba using:

  1. svrmgr> connect internal/test or
  2. svrmgr> connect sys/test as sysdba;

However, if using sqlplus (assuming sys has a password different than internal's, for instance the default change_on_install) calling sqlplus:

$ sqlplus sys/test

would fail, as would

SQL> connect sys/test as sysdba;

in this case using:

SQL> connect sys/change_on_install

would work.

also note that if you change sys's password in sqlplus, for instance:

SQL> alter user sys identified by blue;

does NOT change internal's password to blue, internal's password is still TEST. To change internal's password there is a utility called ORAPWD in the \oracle_home\xbin sub-directory.

M.Landa Received on Thu Nov 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message