Re: Got questions..We got flimflam

From: Steve McKinty - Sun Microsystems Grenoble <smckinty_at_sunicnc.France.Sun.COM>
Date: 1996/11/07

In article <systemic.89.004F4782_at_seanet.com>, systemic_at_seanet.com (Systemic) writes:
>Subject: Re: Got questions..We got flimflam
>Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 09:39:58 LOCAL
>
>> By definition a (900) number has to have Caller ID or a similar way to
>>know who is calling. (900) numbers bill not only the call itself but
>>also the cost of whatever service is being sold to the phone bill of the
>>calling number, which requires that the call be traced automatically.

>> So "psychics" on (900) lines can very easily have access to a computer
>>database which, based on phone number returned by the Caller ID, know
>>enough basics to do a good job of fakery.
>
>Does that mean that if you did a *69 (the code in my area) to make the call
>private (ie; caller id. returns a "private" on the screen rather than the
>number) that they couldn't bill you? Of course, I guess then they wouldn't
>accept your call anyway.

No. 800 and 900 numbers use ANI to get the caller's number, not caller ID. The ANI information is transmitted irrespective of whether you have blocked the sending of CLID information.

CLID is subscriber->subscriber info, for general calls. ANI is switch->subscriber number, sent by the phone company. If you want your number to stay private, don't use free or premium services.

Steve

--
Steve McKinty                   |
Sun Microsystems ICNC           |