Re: Badly installed Oracle

From: Karen Herring <kherring_at_siri.com>
Date: 1996/11/06

Mike Biggin wrote:

> Graham Potts wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to install again to clean all this up. Can I simply delete
> > the ORACLE_HOME tree and reinstall.
> >
> > Also, I ran what I thought were the right .sql files to create the dba
> > scripts etc but now when I run sqlplus I get all sorts of errors from
> > pl/sql - the most significant being 'cannot find package
> > fred.dbms_application'. This package was created by system and does
> > exist, but obviously something else is wrong. Can I 'redo' all of that
> > stuff at this stage, and if so what do I do?
> >
> > Apart from all that.... it is running just fine!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Graham Potts
>
> Re-installing Oracle as you suggest should be ok. Be sure to do a
> clean shutdown of your database instance beforehand though.
>
> For the pl/sql problem, try running the script:-
> $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/catproc.sql
>
> --
> Mike Biggin
> DENR, South Australian Government
> E-mail: mbiggin_at_denr.sa.gov.au
> Phone: +61 8 8204 9217; Fax: +61 8 8204 9017
>
> Unless explicitly attributed, the opinions expressed are personal
> and not those of DENR or the South Australian Government.
Before you remove your ORACLE_HOME tree, be sure that none of your database files reside in that directory structure (e.g. INIT.ORA, control files, redo logs). This may seem pretty obvious, but it's worth a reminder! If you have the space, you might consider reinstalling Oracle in the new directory before blowing away the old one.

Good luck! Received on Wed Nov 06 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message