Re: Oracle 7.3 under Linux, any chance ?

From: Ian Parkin <twod_at_roxy.sfo.com>
Date: 1996/11/06

: I am surprised that Oracle is not releasing a version of its
: DBMS for the most efficient Unix out there, Linux.

Sniff, sniff. Smells like ill-informed, one-eyed flame-bait. Looks like illinformed,  one-eyed flame-bait. So, it must be .....

: Does anybody know if the version 7.3 of Oracle SCO binaries
: would work under Linux. We are getting really desperate as

Yes, the RDBMS runs under Linux - I and others have posted such information previously - but getting things like Pro*C/C++/Oraperl/DBD/DBI running are a little more tricky requiring SCO libraries. If you just want a server then you may be OK, otherwise it get's a tad messy.

: doesn't think that its becoming a very dominant force in the
: market should come out of the whole they have been living in
: for the past few years.

I don't think that it's becoming dominant, but then I jumped ship from HMS Linus 4 months ago after using linux since MCC 0.8. I guess I was living in the past for all those years :)

BTW Please don't get up on your Linux-Soap-Box (tm) as this is not the correct

   forum to do so. This is comp.databases.* (I noticed the cross-post).

IAP Received on Wed Nov 06 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message