Re: Searching debugger for PL/SQL

From: Ed Bruce <Ed.Bruce_at_ha.hac.com>
Date: 1996/11/05

Jim Miles wrote:

> Download SQL Navigator from http://www.technosolutions.com
>
> Drag 'n Drop coding, Color syntax highlighting, check-in check-out etc.
> Integrated DBMS_OUTPUT window. Ability to browse and update data
> in a spreadsheet grid. Many more developer friendly functions.
>
> Recently reviewed in Oracle integrator Sept/Oct '96. Visit
> http://www.technosolutions.com to see what it says about SQL Navigator.

I looking for a debugger for PL/SQL also. I went to your homepage and I didn't find any information about a debugger. Don't claim to have a debugger when all you have is an editor a debugger provides:

  1. Dynamic breakpoints. It should support at the minimum simple conditional and unconditional breakpoints.
  2. Tracing. That is trace when specified procedures/functions are executed. Trace when variables are set. Would be nice to trace status of when packages are rolled-in/out.
  3. Dynamic code changes would be nice but not neccessary.

A pretty editor is nice, but first give me a fully functional debugger. A SQL script is not PL/SQL. Or are you claiming that your SQL script Processor/Editor will step through PL/SQL packages and edit PL/SQL statements on the fly as you execute them?

--

Ed Bruce
<Bruce_at_ha.hac.com>