Re: Null's vs Empty string

From: Ed Bruce <Ed.Bruce_at_ha.hac.com>
Date: 1996/11/05

Paul Brewer wrote:

> I am not an expert, but I think there might be more to this than meets
> the eye.
> Seems to me that Oracle has always treated an empty string as null.
> They aren't the same (and I believe future versions of Oracle will
> distinguish).

Well it depends. In SQLPLUS blank strings are blank strings (talking VARCHAR2 here). But I missed the fine print that said Pro*Ada (and I assume other Pro*(whatevers)) treats a space filled string as a null. So it seems to me you need to experiment with whatever method you are using to insert data to see how it treats space filled VARCHAR2 types.

Ed Bruce
<Bruce_at_ha.hac.com>
<ebruce_at_iquest.com> Received on Tue Nov 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message