Re: Netware v Unix

From: Juergen Schiewe <schiewe_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1996/11/04

In message <3275bf25.3086290_at_n5.gbso.net> - chuckh_at_dvol.com (Chuck Hamilton)Fri, 25 Oct 1996 13:23:58 GMT writes:
:>
:>Mike Hill <hthillm0_at_brtst1.wgw.co.uk> wrote:
:>
:>>Having spent most of my working life with ORACLE on Unix I now find
:>>myself forced into using Netware.
:>>
:>Performance is pretty good on NOS too. This surprised me. I've been
:>told (never been able to verify it) that NOS multitasks like Windows
:>does - non-preemptively. I expected this to cause performance problems
:>but it really hasn't. In fact it runs most queries faster than my HP
:>G30.

Oracle seems to use Netware multitasking to its own advantage. It simply does not yield the CPU when it does heavy computation. You should dedicate a Netware server to Oracle to achieve this result. Oracle on Netware can be slow when the server is also used as a file or print server.

Juergen Schiewe Received on Mon Nov 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message