Re: Help on TNS Config!!

From: Marek Wiechula and Sheila Plant <sparemgw_at_batelco.com.bh>
Date: 1996/11/03

superstar_at_hknet.com wrote:

> I've just installed Oracle 7.3.2.1 on Solaris 2.5.1. I cannot start
> SQL*Net listner. I read from the installation manual that I need to
> modify the /etc/service to reserve a port for the listner. But how
> should I modify that ??
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

It is good practice to reserve your port in /etc/services, but it will still work (at least under AIX) even if you don't.

In order to reserve your port you generally have to become root and edit the /etc/services file. Follow the pattern that you'll already see there and put in a line like

orasrv 1525 tcp/xx # Oracle listener

(I don't have my manual here and I don't remember exactly what's there at the tcp/xx part.)

The next step is to make sure your /etc/listener.ora file references the port number you've chosen. In the xample above it is 1525, but it can be pretty much any port number that hasn't been taken.

The next step is to make sure your port number in the client side TNSNAMES file references the correct port.

Marek Received on Sun Nov 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message