Re: Help needed with writing a Trigger

From: Alexey E. Neckrasow <nec_at_leaves.spb.su>
Date: 1996/11/02

Hi, Steve!

I believe there is no way to write such a trigger you want. Because before firing a trigger, Oracle performs datatype check. And if the field has DATE type, and you're trying to insert a NUMBER Oracle will respond with
ORA-00932: inconsistent datatypes.

By the way, why don't you like calling the VALDATE function within your insert startment?

--
Regards. Alexey Neckrasow. Leaves Inc. Russia.