Re: ORACLE V6 Startup Problem

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/11/01

In article <01bbc705$3be8d860$67a54f8b_at_pc711568.hasler.ascom.ch>, Josef Buergi <nbuejo_at_halser.ascom.ch> writes
>Hello
>
>There is a problem that is very urgent to me.
>
>Somebody pulled out the plug from our DB server (I don't know why), without
>any shutdown or something. So the DB startup does not work from that
>time on.
>
>All I get is the following message:
>
>ORA-00214: control file '/apps/apps1...../cntrlTMN.dbf' version 12195
>inconsistent with file ,,,,,,,,,
>Attemting to shutdown instance ...OACLE instance shut down
>
>That seems to me, that I have corrupt control files. Is there a DB command
>to recover these files ?
>
>Any help is wellcome and thanks in advance!
>
>That happens on a ORACLE Version V6.0.36.7.1, the plattform is a
>sun-server.
>

>Please reply to my eMail account, that is NBUEJO_at_HASLER.ASCOM.CH
>
>Regards, Joseph

It is more likely that you have *ONE* corrupt control file. Try this

1 remove the offending file's name from the control_files entry of init.ora and try to start the database

If it is OK, then shutdown the database, and copy one of the correct control files over the corrupt one, put its name back into init.ora and start up again.

If it is not OK, and you get the same error with another control file, repeat the process until you get to one that works.

2 If none of that works then try the CREATE CONTROL FILE command. This is extremely complex and I would strongly recommend you get Oracle support to confirm the exact details before you do this. I've only done this once and it was quite a while ago.

The syntax of create control file is almost the same as the create database commmand except that you specify all your data files not just the system tablespace data files.

Before you start you need to know the full path names and exact sizes of ALL your data and log files. If you are really desperate, you may be able to read the file names from within the control file with a suitable editor.

startup nomount
create control file ....
shutdown
startup resetlogs

You will have lost some recovery information so you should do a full backup afterwards and restart your tape cycles etc.

Hope this helps.

Please confirm the details before ypu start anything serious

--
Jim Smith