Re: A question of principle

From: Marek Wiechula and Sheila Plant <sparemgw_at_batelco.com.bh>
Date: 1996/11/01

Jack L. Swayze Sr. wrote:

> Michael Ho <infoage_at_hk.super.net> wrote:
>
> >Your DB on mainframe doesn't support NULL ?
>
> You havent heard of other kinds of databases (other than relational)?
>
> There is Hierarchical (IMS), Inverted (ADABAS), CODASYL (IDMS),
> two-level network (TOTAL) plus lots of other file access methods used
> as if they were databases (BDAM, ISAM, VSAM, etc.). None of these
> support nulls.

It is not a property of hierarchical databases that they do not support NULL, though I'm quite will to believe that IMS doesn't. I worked with System 2000 (many year ago) and it was a hierarchical database that supported NULLs.

Marek Received on Fri Nov 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message