Re: Oracle7 Workgroup Server 7.3.2.2.0 for SPARC Solaris 2.4/2.5

From: Joesph Gollapalli <gollapal_at_brcsun0.tamu.edu>
Date: 1996/10/31

Charles Metalitz wrote:

> Earl Wallace (earlw_at_news.walltech.com) wrote:
> : I just purchased 'Oracle7 Workgroup Server 7.3.2.2.0 for SPARC Solaris
> ...[extensive description of problems omitted]...
> My experience, this week, was similar: wouldn't install, incomplete
> docs, uninformed technical support. The good news (for me) was that
> this is a 30-day trial license which I haven't paid for.
>
> But when I looked at this (c.d.o) newsgroup prior to arranging the
> trial, I found few complaints about Oracle products, mainly just
> intelligent questions and responses. Is it only Solaris 2.5.1, and only
> Workgroup Server 7.3, that are unsatisfactory? In general are
> Oracle products and support reliable?
>
> And, given the hardware (Sun Ultra) and operating system (Solaris 2.5.1)
> that I use, what products might give more satisfactory results?
>
> --Chuck Metalitz
> Northeastern Illinois Planning Commission
> taxpayer_at_nipc.org

I have just installed Oracle 7.3.2 on two ultra sparc machines running solaris 2.5.1 in the last month. I had no experience with Oracle or solaris before this. I ran into a few problems. I have eventually finished installing. I felt the same way when I was installing it but after the process is over it runs very well. My suggestion would be to stick to it and get it running first. Then things will seem a lot better. For the record 90 percent of the problems I encountered were because I did not follow instructions or my lack of understanding. There were a few problems that were odd. I strongly recommend that you not give up. It is very reliable after you have figured it out. If you need help I can try to answer a few question. My email address is gollapal_at_brcsun0.tamu.edu

Joseph Gollapalli Received on Thu Oct 31 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message