Re: IMP & Initial Extents

From: Halina Monka <toyr002_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1996/10/30

Jan Thompson wrote:

> Hello world:
>
> I have a question about EXP/IMP, particularly IMP.
>
> My IMP version is 7.2.2.4.0 running on HP 9000.
>
> When I ran IMP on various sized files from 4 rows to 15,000 rows,
> it ran fine without any warnings or errors.
>
> But when I ran it on a data file that is 26MB (I had used EXP to
> produce the data file) I got this error:
>
> IMP-00003: Oracle error 1658 encountered
> ORA-01658: Unable to create Initial extent for segment
> in tablespace SPC3.
>
> The initial extent was originally 10K. But even when I increased
> it to 2048K I still got the above error.
>
> Well, 61,440KB. Surely there's room for the 26MB file to fit into
> 61.5MB.
>
> Anyway, there are the other parameters for this tablespace:
>
> Next Extent : 10K
> Minimum Extents : 1
> Maximum Extents : 121
> Percentage Increase : 50
>
> Can you tell by the above limited information as to what is wrong?
> I'm sure that some of you have encountered the same problems before
> in some previous iterations of the newsgroup.
>
> Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jan Thompson
>
> jan_at_i3107ps2.atl.hp.com

What that mean is that Oracle is unable to create extent of certain size in a given tablespace. Reason could be:
- no space left in the tablespace or
- tablespace fragmented
The large initial extent for the object was created when compress=y option was used on export ( it is size of your object ). You may redo your export with the compress=no to keep original extents or check/fix the tablespace storage ( meaning free space and fragmentation not initial, next ..etc). Halina Received on Wed Oct 30 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message